S’mores Pumpkin Cupcakes Recipe
S’mores Pumpkin Cupcakes are made with graham cracker crusts, an easy 3-ingredient pumpkin spice cupcake recipe, marshmallow cream filling, chocolate ganache, and a toasted marshmallow up on top. This S’mores Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe is the perfect treat to bridge the gap between the end of summer fun and the start of Fall baking.
Which totally means no more waiting until October or November for pumpkin goodies!
I love really, really simple recipes that still bring the wow factor. And that’s exactly what these S’mores Pumpkin Cupcakes do! They are “extra” from top to bottom. But the best part is that they are extra easy to make!
Great ingredients and the right tools make all the difference in any recipe. Here are the ones I recommend for this Pumpkin S’mores Cupcake Recipe:
▢ graham crackers
▢ yellow cake mix
▢ pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
▢ marshmallow cream
▢ milk chocolate chips
▢ heavy cream
▢ large or jumbo marshmallows
Trudeau Confetti Cupcake Pan
Graham Cracker Crumbs
Glass Pitcher Batter Bowl
I have a full size, kitchen quality torch for stuff like creme brûlée. But sometimes it feels like a hassle to pull it out when I really just need a little flame for something on a smaller scale.
This Scripto Windproof Lighter is my go-to for a small torch job like this. It’s absolutely perfect for quick-roasting marshmallows that go on top of this cupcake! This Duraflame Insta-Match Utility Lighter from Target does the same thing too.
How to Make Moist Pumpkin Cupcakes with a Cake Mix
I am all about mixing pumpkin puree with cake mix. It’s such a simple combination that you can do so many things with!
Measurements for Mixing Cake Mix with Pumpkin
♦ If you want to make a pumpkin cookies recipe with cake mix:
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree + 1 (15 oz) cake mix + chocolate chips
♦ If you want to make a pumpkin cake recipe with cake mix:
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree + 1 (15 oz) cake mix + 3/4 cup milk + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
♦ If you want to make a pumpkin cupcake recipe with cake mix:
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree + 1 (15 oz) cake mix + 1/2 cup milk + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
* or pumpkin pie spice
How to Fill S’mores Pumpkin Cupcakes
What goes inside of these S’mores Pumpkin Cupcakes? A gigantic dollop of marshmallow cream, of course! Here are a few step-by-step instructions to make this part of the recipe a little easier to follow:
➊ Core the cupcake. This simply means that you need to hollow out the middle of the cupcake just a bit. I used a melon baller to do this (which I linked to above), but apparently cupcake corers are a thing! If you want to go that route, I’ve also linked to a good cupcake corer. Pro tip: be sure the cupcakes have cooled completely to room temperature first!
➋ Fill the cupcake with marshmallow creme. This can simply be done with a spoon; it’s a little messy, but it’s fine. You could use an “official” cupcake injector like this one if you want.
I found that somewhere in between those two methods worked best for me– I spooned my marshmallow cream into a piping bag (you can use a gallon size zipper bag if you don’t keep piping bags on hand), and then filled the cupcakes that way.
➌ Add the toppings. Replace the “core” of the cupcake. Don’t worry if it doesn’t fit like a perfect puzzle piece– just jam it on there. Once you cover it with chocolate ganache and a toasted marshmallow, any mess underneath will be completely hidden away.
Chocolate Ganache or Chocolate Frosting
Whether you’re just not into ganache or you simply prefer the more traditional frosting topping, I thought I’d also make sure you have my favorite recipe for chocolate frosting. You could replace the ganache with this recipe and still add the toasted marshmallow on top!
- 12 ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Place the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 60 seconds, or until butter is melted completely.
- Add the chocolate chips to the bowl and stir until chocolate chips are very melted. When you feel like the chocolate chips won’t melt any more just from being in the warm butter, place the bowl back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Remove and stir until chocolate chips are completely melted and smooth (nuke an additional 30 seconds if necessary).
- Use an electric mixer to mix in the sour cream.
- Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time and the vanilla extract, mixing well in between each addition.
- Use immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Warm in the microwave in 30 second increments for spreading after refrigerating.
Traditional pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are pretty good, of course. But these S’mores Pumpkin Cupcakes are absolutely EPIC! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do ☺.
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 18 graham cracker rectangle sheets
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
For the Cupcake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix (dry mix, not including the other ingredients)
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Filling:
- approximately 3/4 cup marshmallow cream
For the Toppings:
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1.5 ounces of heavy cream
- approximately 15 large marshmallows
- optional: more graham cracker crumbs for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
For the Crusts:
- In a food processor, crush the graham crackers. Add the butter and continue to blend until mixed well.
- Press heaping tablespoons of the graham cracker crust mixture into each of the lined cups of the prepared muffin tin.
For the Cupcakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the pumpkin, cake mix, and the milk until the batter forms.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into each cup over the graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before proceeding to remaining steps.
- Make the ganache. Pour the cream into a medium sized microwave-safe bowl. Heat the cream in the microwave for 1 minute or until bubbling.
- Add the chocolate chips to the cream and allow them some time to melt before stirring. If needed, return the mixture to the microwave for no more than 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and shiny.
- Let the ganache cool and thicken slightly.
- Core the cupcakes and fill each cupcake with the marshmallow creme (see the post for tips). Replace the tops of the cupcakes.
- Spoon the ganache over the tops of the cupcakes.
- Place a marshmallow on each cupcake and use a lighter to gently toast it.
- Alternately: place the marshmallows on a lined and lightly greased baking sheet. Broil the marshmallows until golden brown (this won’t take more than a minute, so don’t go far!). Immediately place a toasted marshmallow on top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with graham crackers crumbs if desired.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 393Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 4g