posted by Ashton
October 18, 2021
How to Make Scary Good Halloween Donuts
Glazed chocolate cake donuts topped with vanilla frosting spiderwebs are the perfect spooky addition to your Halloween menu. Make these Easy Halloween Donuts for a fun breakfast or a sweet after school treat!
Ingredients & Supplies
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
- chocolate frosting
- white frosting
How Do You Make Spider Web Donuts?
➊ Start by baking my favorite, fool-proof, always amazing chocolate baked donuts.
➋ Melt the chocolate frosting in the microwave in a small bowl. Dip the top of each donut in the melted chocolate frosting.
How do you make Frankenstein’s Monster Donuts?
Use these supplies to make EASY Frankenstein Monster donuts:
How do I make Mummy Donuts?
Check out my recipe for Mummy Brownies! I list all the supplies you need along with a few tips for success (but seriously– you can’t mess these up). Use the same method to make easy mummy donuts!
You could make things even easier by starting with plain, glazed Krispy Kreme donuts. Pipe the white lines across the donuts and add they candy eyes.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- I prefer using a piping bag and frosting tip to make the spider webs, but technically you could simply snip a small corner off a gallon-size ziptop bag and use that instead.
- Adding plastic spiders on top of each donut would be super cute!
- If you don’t have a donut pan, you could also bake the batter into muffins and still pipe spider webs on top.
- You could reverse the flavors of frosting on the top and dip the donuts in white frosting and use chocolate frosting to pipe on the spider webs. Whatever your personal preference is!
Baked Chocolate Donuts
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- I like using this chocolate ganache recipe
- You could also use store-bought frosting and warm it for dipping
White Frosting for Piping
- Store-bought frosting is perfect for this
- If you prefer homemade, here is my favorite vanilla buttercream
Bake the Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, corn starch, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla, and vegetable oil. Mix until smooth batter forms. Pour batter into a large piping bag (I usually use a gallon sized zip top bag).
- Generously and thoroughly grease a donut baking tin with nonstick cooking spray. Snip the corner of the bag and pipe the batter into the tins, filling each about 3/4 full. (My donut pan only bakes 6 donuts at a time, so I typically overfill each one just a bit or I have a little batter left over– which I will sometimes use to make a few mini donuts in my mini pan).
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let donuts cool in pan for about 10 minutes, until pan is cool enough to handle. Invert donuts onto a wire rack for complete cooling.
Frost the Donuts
- Dip each donut in warm ganache or frosting. Let excess drip off using a cooling rack with a piece of parchment or wax paper underneath.
Pipe on the Spider Webs
For More Easy Halloween Treats